For whatever reason, many people decide to go with a vegan diet. For many this is a conscious choice they make, as they do not like the ideas that are associated with eating meat and other foods that were once alive. However, for many people, the vegan diet is a necessity for health concerns. It can be hard to figure out just what a person should be fixing to eat when they are dealing with a vegan diet, as a person may feel limited in their choices. The good news is that there are tons of recipes out there that are going to allow you to stick with your diet.
Shepherds Pie has always been a classic for many people, as it often reminds them of that home cooked feeling. Traditionally, Shepherds Pie is made with some type of meat, usually ground beef, and vegetables. However, the vegan version is going to be just as delicious, and also keep with your vegan lifestyle.
The ingredients that you will need to gather before cooking are:
- 1 1/2 pounds of regular potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds of sweet potatoes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of dairy free butter
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegearette dressing
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks of celery
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of colainder seeds
- Small bunch of thyme
- Handful of chestnut mushrooms
- 12 sun dried tomatoes
- Red wine (vegan)
- 1/2 cup of vegan vegetables stock
- 1 can of lentils
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 5 springs of fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 6 teaspoons of bread crumbs
This process is fairly quick and does not require much skill. Thus, the Vegan Shepherd’s Pie is going to be a great choice for a heart meal that does not take much time to complete.
- Peel all the potatoes and chop these into small cubes for easier cooking.
- Boil the potatoes to a nice consistency that can easily be mashed.
- Drain the potatoes, and then add in the salt and pepper. Mash these together. Add in the butter, and continue to mash until desired consistency is met.
- In a separate pan, bring a small amount of olive oil under heat.
- Slice the celery, carrots, and onion into small slices and put into the olive oil to be heated.
- Take the colander seeds and grind these into a sort of paste, adding into the pan with the sliced vegetables.
- Add in the thyme leaves and cook all together for around 10 minutes.
- Next, chop the mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes into small, bit sized pieces. Add these into the pan with the rest of the vegetables.
- Add the vinegar to the pan and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- During the cooking process, add in a splash of red wine for an extra boost of flavor.
- Bring the pan to a boil with all the ingredients, adding in the lentils, chickpeas and vegetable stock. Allow the mixture to boil for 5 to 10 minutes until lit starts to thicken up.
- Add the parsley leaves once the mixture starts to thicken.
- Pour the hot mixture into a baking pan.
- Add on top of this mixture the mashed potatoes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the lemon zest, garlic cloves, bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon of olive oil together.
- Spread this mixture over the top of the mashed potatoes.
- Place the baking dish in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or so until the mixture is golden brown and ready to serve.
This recipe will feed approximately 8 people, and total time is around one and a half hours. It is a great take on a classic that many people grew up with. With the way in which this is made, a person can substitute in various vegetables to replace the celery, mushrooms, tomatoes or the like, making it a recipe that you can truly make your own.