There are many foods out there that remind everyone of their childhood. Whether this was a soup that their mother served them on cold days, or a favorite dish that their parents always gave them when they were feeling down. These types of foods are often the one way in which a person can start to feel better, even as an adult. As food has the ability to make a person feel a certain way and brings about those feelings that we often thought were gone.
Mac ‘n’ cheese is a favorite among many adults and children. This is a home meal that is often thought to be a bit of nursery food, but those who eat this often find that they will feel ten times better, just as they did when they were children. For those who are following a Vegan lifestyle, you do not have to cut out eating Mac ‘n’ cheese, as there are several ways in which you can make this filling recipe without violating any of your new vegan diet rules.
With a Vegan mac’n’cheese recipe, you are going to need a few different things in order to make this work. These ingredients are:
- Elbow macaroni, around 2 cups uncooked
- black pepper
- sea salt
- 1 onion
- 4 1/4 cups of soya milk, unsweetened
- 6 1/2 tablespoons of dairy-free margarine
- 5 1/2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 tablespoon of English mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of yeast flakes
- 3 1/2 tablespoons of vegan cheese
- 5 gloves of garlic
- 1/2 bunch of fresh thyme
- olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of fresh breadcrumbs
This process takes around 40 minutes to complete, but the end results are going to be something that the entire family loves.
- Bring water and a dash of salt to a boil, and add in uncooked elbow macaroni. Continue to boil this macaroni until the noodles are soft and fully cooked.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, while the macaroni is boiling.
- In a small pan, half the onion and place this in it, with the milk, and bring to a boil. Once this has boiled for a few minutes, remove the onion from the pan and set aside.
- In another pan, add in the butter and flour until it forms a paste to utilize.
- Add in the leftover milk from the onion gradually, and continue to boil the paste and milk together.
- Add in the mustard and yeast flakes to the boiling mixture, and mix together.
- Add in the vegan cheese if you plan on using this.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the macaroni, and then add this to the milk and cheese mixture in the other pan, being sure that all the noodles are being coated.
- Add the coated mixture to a baking dish.
- Chop the garlic cloves together, add in the thyme and put this into a small pain with a dash of oil.
- Saute this for a few minutes.
- Add the sauteed garlic and thyme into the bread crumbs, using a small dash of oil to help hold all this together.
- Add this mixture onto the top of the macaroni cheese in the baking dish.
- Cook this in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes to ensure that everything is done.
The pan of Vegan Mac ‘N’ Cheese is going to fit around 6 people, if given only one serving. This is a great main meal when served with a side of some type of green vegetable. The end result is a creamy and home cooked meal that is going to stick with your Vegan diet. Many people add in a few more vegetables and spices to make this something that is truly unique, thus it is a great recipe to mess around with to find a unique taste.